Thursday, October 18, 2012

Untitled

As I sit here on the porch,
Listening to birds chirping,
I try to come up
With a poem.
The sky slowly darkens
With the approach of rain,
The thunder sounds
In the distance.
A car drives by,
going to some unknown destination.
A man walks by
With purpose in his step.
The rain suddenly pours down,
As if the heavens open up.
Everything becomes wet,
Muddy, and dreary.
Birds take shelter in trees,
And I take shelter
Inside my home.
The rain lasts only a
short while.
The birds come out again,
Some feeding on the seeds
in the bird feeder.
I go back out to the porch,
And listen to the birds.
A bird is bathing
In the rain at the side
of the street.
The rain drips off of
branches and buildings.
I listen to a plane
flying by,
and the cars go by.
The sun comes back
Out to greet me.
Another man walks by,
With an umbrella in his hand.
I think about the
Brief moment of rain,
And how things can
Change in an instant.
The birds chirping,
Rabbits hopping by.
People out for a walk
Or drive.
Don’t take anything for granted.
It could all be gone
In an instant.
Treasure things in life,
big and small.
Life may seam dreary
And depressing at times,
But it is all worth it.
No matter what we go through,
The sun will come out
In the end.
As I sit here on the porch,
Listening to the birds chirping,
I try to come up
With a poem.
This is what results
From a mind at work


This was written in the summer of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment