Monday, December 28, 2020

My 2021 Word of the Year: Courage

I have been doing word of the year for a few years now, and it has gone ok, but it definitely needs some work.

I was recently thinking about what I want my word to be for 2021, and saw the word courage somewhere (I don't remember where, exactly).

Courage is the perfect word for me, as I tend to shy away from a lot of things that would put me out of my comfort zone on many occasions.

And I want to change that.

As a very shy and introverted person, most of my time that is not spent at work is spent at home. I will either be playing a video game (I have been playing video games A LOT this year), listening to music, watching a movie, or hanging out in my room.

Which is why I don't do the things I really want to do much of the time. 

Things like:

  • Talking to people, and in turn making more friends (I don't have very many friends)
  • Traveling to new or favorite places
  • Getting my driver's license, and driving
  • Working at a bakery, and improving my baking and decorating skills
  • Taking better care of myself (and loving myself)
  • To be in a relationship with a significant other
  • Asking for help when I am struggling
  • Living on my own
  • Shaving my head at least once in my life (yes, I want to shave my head!)
  • Calling people (I hate making phone calls, especially to people I don't know)
  • Reaching out to current friends, to talk or do things with
  • Going to events in the city that I would really like to go to (concerts, plays, etc.)
I want to have the courage to be who I really am, and to do the things I really want to do. I want to have the courage to stand up for myself, to have my voice heard.

A lot of people have made me feel like I am not worth getting to know, not worth being friends with, not worth being heard, not worth making memories with.

I am one of those people that cares about what others think of me, which is why I hesitate to do things, why I hesitate to be the real me.

And I want to have the courage to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment