Thursday, January 23, 2014

Wanting to Try Learning Sign Language Again

I recently checked out Switched at Birth on DVD, a show that I love!! A few of the characters/actors on the show are deaf, and watching the show again, has inspired me to want to learn sign language again.
 
I took a sign language class in college several years ago, but I didn't do very well. I think that is because I have a learning disability, and it takes longer than usual to learn and remember things, that the class was once a week, and that I didn't have anyone to really practice with, as no one I knew at the time knew sign language, other than the teacher.
 
But, I want to try again, and see what happens. I am putting holds on books and DVDs on the language, and looking on YouTube for videos to help me out.
 
I want to learn sign language, partly because I want to either be a special education teacher, or a teacher's aide, and I know that there may be deaf students, and I want to be able to talk to them myself, and not have to rely on an interpreter all the time.
 
I also want to learn because I want to be able to have a conversation with deaf people, and not worry about not being able to understand them, and vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment