Sunday, December 26, 2021

My First Homemade Gingerbread House

I love gingerbread houses, and I normally buy pre-made, unassembled ones to put together and decorate, but I recently found a gingerbread house cookie cutter set, so I decided to make my own this year.

I bought some candy and snacks to decorate with, and got to work on baking, assembling, and decorating.

I got frustrated a few times, because the pieces to build the house, as well as some of the decorations, wouldn't stay put after a while, when I had put the icing on, so I had to get creative with that.

I had ended up using a plastic food storage container to hold up the pieces, so they can stay put while the icing dries.


                                                                      So very messy!


                                                                 The start of decorating


My decorations for the house





The front
This front piece of the house broke as I was putting assembling the house, so I had to "glue" it back together before moving on.

Left side


The back
The part with the candy cane Kiss is supposed to be a wreath
The round red piece of candy is supposed to be a window


                       The right side                       

It was very messy, and I had to have a lot of patience for this, as it took a long time for the icing to set on each side, before I could move on to another part of the house.

But, it was worth it in the end. I know the completed house looks messy, but it came out pretty good, and I am happy with it.

Although, next year I might just go with a pre-made kit, just to save me all this frustration, and impatience.

It was a fun experience, though, making it from scratch!

No comments:

Post a Comment