Thursday, August 22, 2019

5 Things I Wish I Had Done Differently in High School

I read an article on girlslife.com, where a college junior wrote about what she wishes she could have done differently in high school, and that got me thinking about my own high school experience.

I never really liked school until I got to college, and part of that was my fault.

Here are 5 things I wish I had done differently in high school:

1. I wish I had done my homework earlier.
I was one of those people who hated homework, and for a good chunk of my high school career, a lot of the time I didn't do my homework on time, and handed it in late. I was a big procrastinator in school (and in other aspects of life, as well), so naturally I waited until the last minute to do my homework.

2. I wish I had gotten better grades.
Because I didn't handle my time with school work very well, and I seldom studied, I didn't get very good grades. Plus, I have a learning disability, so that made it more difficult for me to learn. I didn't do very well in several classes, but the bad grades didn't seem to motivate me to want to do better. I never really cared about grades, and other parts of my daily life suffered as a consequence.

3. I wish I had joined a club.
I was bad at sports, so that was out of the question. But if I had joined a club, it would have made my high school experience much better. I may have made more friends than I did, and I wouldn't have disliked school so much.

4. I wish I had faith in, and believed in, myself.
I am a very shy, quiet person, and I didn't have a lot of confidence in myself in high school. I cared too much about what other people thought of me, and there were a couple classes I didn't think I would succeed in (math being number one). I with how I did in school in the past, I never thought I would be able to do any better. Which, of course, was wrong. But I didn't know that at the time.

5. I wish I had the courage to have asked for help when I needed it.
I am one of those who hates asking for help, so I usually just kept quiet when it came to homework and studying. But if I had asked for help when I needed it, it would have been so much easier for me in high school.


At the end of my sophomore year, I did end up getting help for the rest of my time in high school, and from then on, I did do better in school. I did most of my homework on time, and my grades and GPA went up. But, even then, I didn't like school all that much. I was not a morning person (I am still not), so I hated being in school at 8 am, and I still didn't like doing homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment