Tuesday, September 15, 2015

My Fear of Public Speaking

For as long as I can remember, I've been afraid of public speaking, like many other people. I am a very shy person by nature, so these two go hand in hand.

One of my friends on Facebook suggested I check out/join Toastmasters. They help people become better speakers and leaders, so you can be more confident in your abilities.

It has crossed my mind a few times, but I don't know how I feel about actually being a part of it. Mainly because I'm so shy.

The Toastmasters nearest me meets at the local library, which is about half a mile away, maybe less. So it won't be a hassle getting  there, if I do join.

I recently bought a Public Speaking for Dummies book, from a local thrift store, to help me out with speaking as well. But, I haven't really read it yet.

My shyness, and fear of speaking, is mainly why I love to write. And blog. I can take my time in thinking about what I want to say/write, without people watching me.

I can be more open, more outgoing, more direct with what I say/what I want to say.

My thoughts can be more organized, and my mind doesn't go blank, forgetting what I want to say. What I need to say.

I would definitely love to be more outgoing, but I know that's not going to happen overnight. And it's going to be really hard to put myself out there, out of my comfort zone.

But, I am willing to go out of my comfort zone, if it means becoming more confident in myself, gaining better self-esteem, and maybe even gain a few new friends in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment