Sunday, June 14, 2020

Grieving for Family Retreat

Because of the Coronavirus, many things have been cancelled this year, which, for me, includes Joni and Friends Family Retreat.

I got to go to retreat for the first time last summer, and immediately fell in love with it.

The people, the activities, the location, everything.

And that was taken away this year.

Retreat is probably one of the only places the people that come to them, where they feel accepted, where they aren't alone, where they can just relax and not worry about the stresses of regular, everyday life.

I am grieving for this loss, not just for myself, but for all the others who go to retreat every year (or as often as they can), and were looking forward to it this year.

We were able to have weekly virtual get togethers via Zoom, from May through the June 7th, and I loved them. They were every Sunday, and we had worship, prayer, games, jokes and chats.

Today would have been the first day of the Maranatha/Michigan week 2 retreat, which is the one I went to last year, and the one I was planning on going to this year.

So, even though this year didn't go as planned, I am so thankful for technology that allows us to still connect with one another, to support one another, and to have fun, even when we can be together physically.

I am also thankful for meeting all the wonderful people that make/made retreat possible, and for making it so enjoyable and memorable.

Here's to hoping that next year is much better, and that we can have retreat next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment