Friday, July 8, 2022

My Time at the 2022 Joni and Friends Retreat

I can't believe retreat has been over for a few weeks now; it went by so fast!! It went from June 12 through the 17th.

I wanted to post about retreat sooner, but I got sick a few days after I got home, and it took a while to feel better.

On Saturday, June 11th, a retreat friend drove me up, and I stayed at a hotel for the night.

Sunday morning, I got to the retreat campus, and we had a day filled with training on Sunday.

Everyone found out what their job was during camp, and I was in the sweet shop again (which I was happy about; I love being in the sweet shop!).

On Monday, we had some final training in the morning and early afternoon, and then the families arrived. Our theme for camp this year was An Anchor for the Soul, so the costumes we wore were water themed. Some people were pirates, some were sea creatures, some we captains...it was fun to see all the different costumes.

For the campers/families, there are activities they can do in the afternoon, like zip-lining, horseback riding, boating/tubing, swimming, and a talent show.

After all of the families arrived, we had dinner, a welcome ceremony, and an ice cream social (which I helped out with).

Tuesday thru Thursday, there were morning groups for the campers, and I helped with some baking each morning. I made some brookies (part cookie, part brownie) for the sweet shop, and I helped man the shop in the afternoons.

The volunteers had devotionals/worship before breakfast Monday-Thursday as well, where a pastor spoke to us about passages that related to this year's theme (An Anchor for the Soul). Then, we got into groups according to which area we were serving in and prayed for everyone for that day, and went to breakfast.

On Tuesday, there was a carnival, and a petting zoo for everyone to enjoy, as well as horse-drawn carriage rides. I love horses, so I of course went on the carriage ride.

During my break on Tuesday, I got to go horseback riding, which I was so excited about!!! I haven't gone riding since 2004, and I sorely missed it.

On Wednesday, I did some more baking for the sweet shop, and manned the shop again in the afternoon. Then I was allowed to go horseback riding again, which I, of course, loved!

There was a parents dinner that I helped set up (we put tablecloths on the tables, as well as place settings and decorations). Us volunteers got to eat with the parents, once everyone got their food.

After the dinner, there was a break in activities, and in the evening, we all were able to enjoy a dance, as well as some games.

On Thursday, I did even more baking, manned the sweet shop again, and then there was the talent show in the evening.

After breakfast, there was an accessible worship, where those who wanted to come on (or near) the stage, could do so while worshipping.

There was a special lunch for moms, that I helped set up. Again, we got to eat with the moms, after everyone got their food.

I was surprised with a chance to go zip-lining on Thursday, something that had been on my bucket list for quite a while.

I am afraid of heights, so I had to push through my fears to do this, but I actually enjoyed it. It was fun!

The talent show was fun. There were jokes, dancing, a Star Wars light saber fight, music, signing (a song that was performed in Sign Language by a group), instrument playing, and a few other acts.

Then, when the talent show was over, people could either do karaoke, or go over to the sweet shop for snacks.

Friday was the last day of retreat, which I was not happy about. I did not want to go home just yet.

There was breakfast, families and volunteers packed up their belongings, we had a closing ceremony, and then when the families left, the volunteers had a lunch where we talked about how the week went.

During the closing ceremony, one of the other volunteers surprised me with a cat necklace that she made. I had no idea anyone was going to give me anything, so I was very surprised by the sweet gift! I have two cats of my own, which is why she gave me the necklace.

I can't believe camp is over already; it felt like it went by in the blink of an eye! I am already looking forward to next year, and hoping that I get to go again.

I have come to love retreat, which is now my happy place, where I get to serve and have my heart filled up at the same time.

Can next June come already, please?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment